Nurturing PhDs into Entrepreneurs
GBA I3 Postdoc Programme (the Programme) is aiming to transform recent PhDs into technopreneurs and translate research outcomes into real-world impact through technology venturing. Incorporating entrepreneurship courses, applied research and pre-incubation, the Programme is the first of its kind in Asia to nurture future technopreneurs for the leap. The Programme welcomes recent PhD graduates globally who are determined to turning their research outcomes into real-world impact through entrepreneurship during a period of 24 months.
Leveraging on the local industry network of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Shenzhen University as well as the government sponsorship, a GBA I3 Postdoc candidate will enjoy a very competitive package of supports, including monthly salary, access to research facilities, government grants and start-up subsidies, as well as entrepreneurship training and dual academic and business supervision, all to support the commercialisation of his/her research through a technology start-up in the GBA.
The applicant should be:
- 35 years old or under who has conferred/obtained the PhD degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised institution for no more than three (calendar) years from the date of application
- With good English reading and writing skills
- With excellent applied research capabilities and determination to turn research outcomes into products/services
- With strong passion and vision to commercialise the research technology through start-up in GBA (those with past or current entrepreneurial experiences are preferred)
- Fashion and Wearable Tech
- Health Tech
- Smart City and AI
- All other areas enlisted under the academic supervisors
BENEFIT AND SUPPORT
A GBA I3 Postdoc will receive a competitive support package as well as other resources to jumpstart his/her start-up, including:
- Annual salary of RMB300,0001 for two years
- Full statutory benefits including pension and medical insurance
- Subsidised housing or rent allowance
- Free workspace
- Entrepreneurship training
Other funding opportunities from government and university2 , if applicable, include:
- Research grant up to RMB300,0003
- Start-up subsidy up to RMB1,600,0004
- Scholarship up to RMB600,000 and family relocation allowance up to RMB400,0005
- Grant up to RMB1,335,0006 matching external investment
- Dual academic and business supervision
- Pre-incubation support and facilities provided by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Shenzhen University
- Business consultation clinic by entrepreneur-in-residence
- Corporate networking activities
- Investment meetup & pitching
- Follow-up funding & acceleration programmes
- One-year rent free workspace upon completion of the programme (subject to related application conditions)
HOW TO APPLY?
GBA I3 Postdoc 2019 intake has been completed and we are looking forward to the next intake.